Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Is HERE!

T.S. Eliot so beautifully said, 


APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.


... and I'm not sure I agree. I mean, I love Eliot and The Waste Land is my favorite (okay, maybe it ties for first with Prufrock) of his works. But, April is not cruel, in fact I'm quite looking forward to it. Just yesterday I started noticing that lawns are getting greener, the trees are beginning to bud and there are the littlest green shoots coming up bulbs that have long been hibernating through the cold and often cruel Colorado winter. I think that if Eliot had lived here he would have had something different to say in these opening lines. Something about the relief of winter coming to an end and seeing life in the green that is popping up all around. This weather puts me in the mood to plant (a mood that won't last long, I assure you) and be outside. Until it is just a bit warmer though I will be content with having the windows open and dreaming of all the fun springy outfits that I can wear ... in the next couple months. 



Although, these lilacs do cause me to mix the memory of spring and desire for warm weather ... maybe he did have it right after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment